Skip to main content

Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat

Unlike
many teachers across the nation, my holiday break started on Friday
afternoon. I was so happy to see them go - and now, 2 days later,
I'm missing the little buggers.

This is probably a good thing as I am determined to plan out next semester much more closely than the previous. The past 4 months have been a bit crazy and I've felt like I've accomplished little besides going through the motions. Maybe I just haven't had enough time to reflect or really wanted to. I just feel like I haven't been doing enough to really get anyone engaged in actual learning or even had some authentic goals in mind when teaching (other than "please god, let them turn something in")

I had an interesting chat with the Woodshop teacher at the "Ladies Ornament Party" (apparently, the whole town is stuck in 1971. This explains my apartment decor). She asked me if I wanted to know what the students thought of me and since I had a few drinks, I figured what the hell. It's only 4 days til break, I can always quit. So, the result is... they don't necessarily hate me, but the assignments are way to hard. Also, students can't get away with
anything in my class (yipee!). This would explain why a few of my sophomores are attempting to transfer at the semester break. (The
freshmen aren't even talking about it anyomore... I've broken them, mwhaaahahhaaa!).

I told this to my mentor who laughed it off and told me not to make anything easier - period. In looking at the grades of my students, I have to wonder. I have one section where the highest grade is a B. Then again, I also have students who are actually trying hard to improve and really doing it. Do those few outweigh the lesser?

And what the heck do I do with the student who does nothing (seriously
under 6% overall grade) and it's his 4th time in this course? Just let him flunk? Or the one who's following in his footsteps? Decisions,
decisions....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question