Skip to main content
S4010083 Although I'm sure to jinx it, I have to say that I think Spring has sprung early around here. It's still a bit chilly in the morning, but by afternoon it's sunny and in the 50's. Spring fever hit hard this week, especially with the added bonus of the upcoming 3-day weekend and the state wrestling championships. Either way, everyone had deserted the campus by2.35pm on Friday.

The group lessons for a couple of my freshmen classes are moving along. Stealing an idea from another blog (sorry, can't remember which one) about creating the groups. Pair the strongest student with the weakest and toss in a couple of middles, repeat until all students are in group. In my case, several of the groups went more along the lines of "mature student can deal with stinky student" or "mature student can work despite immature slacker." It will be interesting to see how these lessons turn out in reality. I tried to make the instructions as clear as possible, but how much actually filtered in or was understood, I'm not sure.

I have another freshman class that I'm at my wit's end with - I just haven't a clue as to what to do with them. It's a tiny class, averaging 10 students per day. You'd think this would fabulous, but it's not. There are two students who cause the most problems and stir everyone else up as well. If one of them is absent, the class isn't really that bad. If both are there, I end up yelling at them to sit down and stop talking endlessly. Tossing them out of class does no good. Talking to them does no good. Have them go with an aide to try to catch up hasn't work. Parents are unavailable and I'm beginning to wonder what will happen when the football coaches find out that next year's quarterback won't be academically elligible. To say that sports tend to trump academics is slightly an understatement.

(added) In addition, the majority of the other students in this class would really prefer to sit on their collective asses and chat. They make this abundantly clear every day. There is not one thing this class has done where whining and complaining has not ensued. Read - complaints about the text (any genre); do any assignment - complaints about boringness, too hard, not hard enough, etc.; watch a movie - "it's stupid"; Group assignments are not even attempted by students, they just sit and talk. The only writing task that is acceptable is writing notes to friends with no editing (that's a boring task and "everyone knows what they're saying"). Any assignment has to be finished during a single class time, because they invariably forget it the next day. All books must be left in the class, otherwise they will "lost" in less than 24 hours. Did I mention that one reason this class is so small is because any student who actually wanted to learn and could change, moved to a different period?

In talking with other teachers at the school, it's been suggested that I make it a packet class (everyone works individually on worksheets and writes on their own) or make it more like independant study. The first option would suck probably suck for the two/three students who actually want to do something in class and option two gives me visions of sitting with the rest of the class saying things like "you haven't done anything for three weeks - how were you planning to achieve a passing a grade for this class?" along with endless frustration. I'm dreading Romeo and Juliet even more... any suggestions would be welcome!

Comments

Stiles said…
Free advice is cheap, so take this for what it is worth.

You may want to consider assigning your two high management students to seats in the front where you can use proximity to help keep them on task.

And, yes, it does get tougher when numbers get lower, say below 12 or so.
Jenna said…
Did it til it drove me insane... neither gives a crap where I am or anyone else for that matter. They only care about everyone else following them.
Lectrice said…
Okay, I'm going to come across as the worst sort of synical malcontent, but here goes:

Take it from someone who teaches in classrooms like this all the time: peer approval is your friend.

Select your two most focal and vocal ringleaders, and design every lesson plan for them alone: their strengths, their needs, their accomplishments. Make rewards visible, tangible, publicly achieved. Wherever possible, make peer approval a facet of the class: reports delivered to the group, plays and scenes acted out, reading out selections of these two kids' work to the others, certificate presentations, setting up teams to compete in debates, etc.

Forget about extracting written work from all students, all lessons,; until you have your ringleaders' loyalty, and the rest of the class are *invested* in succeeding before - if not you - their peers, you won't get that level of activity.

But your advantage persists: you're older and sneakier than they are. Use that.

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question