Skip to main content
I'm beginning to think that teaching is like being bipolar. Amazingly, one class got their act together and actually read at home to catch up to the other classes. Yesterday we went back over parts of it and read through chapter 2 as a class. I've decided not to do groups with them though... there just aren't enough strong readers to match with weaker readers. Plus the numbers tend to fluctuate too much.

For the record - I don't really think that asking that a paragraph be at least 5 sentences is too much to ask. First, it's requirement in most middle schools and second, these freshmen won't graduate without doing it on the WASL. They take it next year - and if they don't pass within 3 times, they don't graduate, period. Do not collect $200 dollars, do not bother to finish high school. Whether or not the courts decided this state legislation is too harsh or unconstitution, discriminatory, whatever, can not be my concern. I can't gamble with their future because it wasn't nice.

Also for the record - we do literary terms for vocabulary, along with words that are currently in whatever they're reading. The school curriculum requires vocabulary. I just try to make it useful and something they will use during the school week, rather than a bunch of random words they don't understand and can't even figure out how to use. I also teach sentence diagramming with grammar.

It gets frustrating dealing with the negative attitudes day after day - especially when there isn't a whole lot to bring me back up. I understand that it's a constant struggle and preparing for the day is a bit like preparing for battle, but at the same time, I can't take all the responsibility for learning. Students have to take the responsibility for their own learning. Looking at the title of a book and saying "it's too hard" isn't taking responsibility - it's waiting for me to spoon-feed it in. Two/Four years later, managers will be laughningly tossing that student's job application into the circular file. So maybe the real question I'm struggling with is where to draw that line.

Comments

Tamara said…
Hi, I do a fun thing with vocabulary. This tends to really help the kids process the new vocab and have fun with it too. I've posted some student samples on my blog if you're interested.
www.tamaraeden.blogspot.com

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question