Skip to main content

It's not a full Moon?

I checked the calendar twice - it does say that the full isn't until the 8th. Maybe it's the extended warm weather we've been having... but today was just plain weird!

First, I had a student completely freak out because he came in late (like 40 minutes late) and I told him he had to get a slip from the office. He's been in my class all year and should know that I tell all students that they need a tardy slip - every stinkin' day. So his response was to tell me to "f-off" and then run screaming through halls yelling "f-you!" Slight over reaction for an activity that gives you the freedom to wander for at least 10 minutes... then he showed up 15 minutes later (and late for the next class; he's got me twice in row, poor soul) without any admit slip but very apologetic.

Then later in the day I had another student call me a "stupid f-- bitch" because I wouldn't let him read a magazine while taking a test. I mean, why bother to write the answers on your arm under your shirt when you can just write them on a piece of paper. Shockingly, apparently it is acceptable in other classes according to cursing student.

In between dramatic acts, I confiscated 3 cell phones. One where a student was actually chatting with her grandfather during class. When I told her to give me the phone she said "Grandpa, I have to go. Someone is telling me to hang up." I also 2 sets of headphones, a CD player and a tetris game. I'm trying decide if I should just give up or hold out for an iPod.

Comments

Lectrice said…
Harsh day. My sympathies.

I've started explaining to students that I can't afford an ipod, and so, when I see one, my mean shrivelled little heart beats a little faster, and a mean craven voice inside of me whispers that if I confiscate the thing, I could have an ipod for just one day.

It always works. Apparently, teenagers who cannot co-operate with a rule-based culture can utterly understand unfairly applied rules, as long as they're based on the politics of envy. Perhaps we *did* spend too long studying Macbeth...

Unfortunately I still haven't had a chance to play with an ipod.

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question