Skip to main content

Off With Their Heads!

My sophomore class finally presented their Schools of the Future on Friday. We're reading Fahrenheit 451 and there is a blurb where Clarisse describes her own school. The students are a bit dazed by the idea that no one reads or asks questions, not even in school. Consensus seems to be that everyone should read (just not Lord of the Flies) and be allowed to ask questions. The ground rules for the project were that students had to look at actual tends in education, not dream up their ideal school - no cage-fighting training in PE; it's not going to happen.

There was a lot of technology involvement:
  • desks with computer embedded in them. No writing; everything typed on the computer keyboard. (save me a lot of time monitoring writing/pictures on the desks!)
  • robotic/virtual teachers (feel the love...)
  • attending school via the internet from home
  • much more education in the form of movies and video
  • computer engineering, programming and repair taught to all students, thus eliminating the 'technology department'. All students could repair their own equipment.
  • more maths, more complex maths, more science - although Geometry did not make the cut. I'm not sure how that would work in real life. "Yes, I'm taking Trig and Calculus, along with physics this semester, but I still don't know how to figure out the area of a square."
  • tracking/monitoring system for students, more video surveillance, electronic doors that do not open during class sessions

The most interesting portion was the question of the non-conformists, being identified as those who do not attend school or are only attending to keep out of jail/entertainment/ socializing/increase drug sales. One class, which doesn't really have to deal with this issue, came up with ideas like resurrecting the truant office, residential counseling and special classes. The other class, which until 2 weeks ago had several students in the second category and recently obtained a rather disruptive non-performer came up with much more draconian measures. They included arrest (already in place in WA state), shock collars, brainwashing and cerebral cortex implants to control movement. Do you think there's a message in this? I can tell you that loud laughter was not heard for the rest of the day and certain sections of the classroom were pretty silent after these presentations. Of course, it could just be the Bradbury novel (forgive the pun) fueling these ideas - the author describes a world in which non-conformists are killed or dragged off to the looney-bin.

Question - I've seen several books on teaching and school improvement for urban districts and was wondering if anyone knows of any that look at small rural districts? Although there are many similarities between the two, I think rural districts face some interesting situations that don't present themselves to urban districts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question