Skip to main content

Homophobia

Ah... Romeo & Juliet, that bastion of Shakespearean drama in high school. Who knew it would expose students to the lusts of homosexuality? I mean, gosh! "Juliet was played by a guy and then they kissed? EWWWW!"

We've barely gone through Act 1, Scene 1 and I've already had to explain about:

  • Actors act - just because a guy kissed a guy 400 years ago, doesn't mean that Shakespeare, or anyone else involved in the play, was gay.
  • No one really cares that Alexander was gay. Acting as Alexander in a movie does not make Colin Ferrall gay (thank God!). The same goes for Will & Grace.
  • No, the actors who played women during the 16th/17th centuries were not eunuchs. Also, no to describing what a eunuch is - that's why we have dictionaries.
  • "My naked weapon is out" is not a sexual reference
  • "Ho!" means now!, attention! or hey!. Capulet is not calling his wife a ho'.
  • A nun is someone who takes vows to never get married, have children and live a good life. Romeo's love wants to be a nun... he's not complaining because "she's a tease who won't give it up." (Exactly how rural do you have to be to not know what a Nun is? I know there's not a lot out there these days... but sheesh!)

This is going to be a fun month!

Comments

I have a 14 year old who just red it-- she hates reading (so she says) but she loved R&J. Go figure.

Think the kids will try to convert the death scenes into an episode of CSI-Verona?
Jenna said…
Actually, that sounds like a really good idea!
Anonymous said…
I would expect rural persons to be more likely to know what a nun is.

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question