Skip to main content

Mad Kissin' Like Crazy

The Balcony scene for Romeo and Juliet... I showed both movie versions in class for a comparison/contrast in the different interpretations. The students are creating their own interpretations via cartoon sketches. Telling them they can only use short quotes from the text along with pictures to depict the scenes has more students pouring over the words of than I've ever scene. Plus they've discovered the discerning lack of stage direction - but asked to go beg the drama teacher to put on Romeo and Juliet for next year's play. I still can't figure out why they're so into Shakespeare and hated everything else... Am I doing something different? Are they looking at it as a right of passage? The last step to obtaining a Driver's License? How do I replicate it?

Anyways, back to the movie scenes - the 1968 version of passionate kissing stunned the students. Well, maybe stunned isn't the right description... stupified until they collapsed into hysterical laughter. The rapid kissing and pawing was something they don't see every day - even in the halls. "Like sexy is slow, ya know?" One thing I haven't been able to get across is that values and morals change over time. I tried to explain when we got to the part of Juliet's marriage (at 13? disgusting!) and the dancing... but they firmly believe that everything is exactly the same as it is in this small corner of world, always was, and always will be. I think many of them now believe the 1968 version is a comedy. Otherwise, why would that kissing scene be so funny?

Which one to watch full length? It's come down to violence/bad languge vs. naked butts. Artistic expression - bah! Which one is going to cause the least disruption?

Oh, yes - interview with NYCDOE is tonight. Have no idea what to expect, but very concerned about this "letter of intention" thing... I don't want to be stuck somewhere I don't want to be...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question