Skip to main content

Odyssey

While reading the Odyssey to a class, one of the students actually said they were really enjoying the story - now... meaning, with me reading, stopping every stanza to summarize, dramatizing the action, etc. The question for today is, how do you get students to do that on their own?

Comments

Elizabeth said…
I was talking to my son about this with Shakespeare. He's trying to read Shakespeare on his own; I told him I wouldn't be able to help him much but we found him a parallel version of Hamlet, with Shakespeare on the left and a modern version on the right. After experiementing to with several pages, he decided to read the modern version first. We talked about how hard it was and I told him that after you have read one or two Shakespear plays, it gets easier, because you get to know the language, start understanding the jokes, etc.

You might ask kids how many of them would be intersted in taking one paragraph and doing what you do with it! Be available to answer questions while they prepare, and let a few kids each day take you place...

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question