Skip to main content

Life in A Small Town

among the more frustrating things about living in a small town... no press! no whoopty-dos!

since Thanksgiving, the local news has had at least one story a day about some school collecting food for the needy... the prennial food drive. Even my alma mater got into the act by raising just over $100,000 for Hurricane Katrina victims. It took them a week... and all I can say is "weak!" That's right, I'm not in the charatible spirit. Why? Well, because my students managed to gather nearly 500,000 pounds of food and money in the same amount of time! That's right a half a million! They did it without large parental donations, without teacher intervention and in a community where most of the people donating really needed that can of food. For those math whizzes out there - it's an average of 55 pounds for every man, woman and child in the town! They do it every year and get almost no credit for this for this amazing feat! I think I need to write to Oprah and get some recognition going, because it's freaking amazing! And they deserve it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question