Skip to main content

WASL Fixation

WASL scores are down. For a new principal, this isn't good news... and you could be fired if you don't prove yourself a miracle worker to magically raise them significantly. Yesterday, that meant all my sophomores got a 50 minute power-point lecture on how to pass the WASL. Even I was slightly bored, surfing the internet. After the first session, I told him to skim over the "tips and tricks" of Reading/Writing WASL... the students have heard that song for weeks. I thought the students were all going to bust a gut and point out the sloppy handwriters, when the principal started in on "if they (the scorers) can't read it, you didn't actually write it."

Speaking of handwriting - does anyone know of any teachers who still teach this? Do they demand that students write everything legibly or practice cursive writing? Rumor has it that a school below mine (which shall not be named) insists that teachers do not say a word about student handwriting at any point. This means, I end up with freshman who can't even read cursive, let alone write it. Some of their handwriting reminds me of my 4 year old niece's. The floor of a chicken coop is easier to read... and I know at least one student who will fail the WASL simply because of his handwriting. Obvisously, pennmanship was not part of the high school curriculum during my teaching education or even high school experience - it was already supposed to be ingrained. I've resorted to printing out homeschooler worksheets for my students... what should I do?

Comments

Mama Kelly said…
I live in New Jersey. Both of my girls are in grade school, one in Kindergarten and one in 5th grade. Handwriting is part of their curriculum and even the 5th grader will get comments on her work if its illegible.

I can't imagine kids getting to HS and not being able to write legibly.
Mr. McNamar said…
For the last two weeks, I have taught my 9th graders (almost all signed up to take the WASL) how to pass the WASL--Reading skills and Writing Skills. I have coached them through a reading assessment that looks like the WASL; I have given them two practice writing assessments based on OSPI released items; and today during our pep assembly for our basketball program going to state, we are having ten minutes dedicated to pumping up the WASL takers!

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question