Skip to main content

Completed Cabinets


As promised, the completed cabinets full of dishes.

One thing I hadn't thought about before putting stuff away was the color balance. How to balance the copper with silver and the lilac colored mugs. I ended up putting a antique tea tin between the white corian dishes - it was too much unbroken white. Not the ordinary thing one thinks about when arranging cupboards.


Before taking off all the doors, this corner blocked out all the light from the sliding door and the view into the dining area. You felt clostrophobic standing in the kitchen, with your back to the open. Without even painting the cupboards a lighter color, it felt more open without the doors on - however, I'm still mulling over their complete removal.

On this side, I arragned the clear crystal dishes and glasses I received from my Grandmother. No blocking of light, and keeps that open feeling. Now on to the next question...

What to do with the counter tops? Not only are they ugly, blue and hiddeously stained, but they don't even pretend to be sanitary. There's a huge germ-inviting space between every crack and where the backsplsh meets that counter top.

Unfortunately, there is no $$ in my budget to replace the counter tops. My original idea was to simply place contact paper over the counters and hope for the best. I did this in my apartment and it actually worked out quite well. However, I'd rather have a solution that is a little more esthetically pleasing. Any suggestions? Everything I've read says either to completly replace, tile over ($$) or paint (no food prep allowed, how is that helpful in a kitchen?)

Today is the last day of Spring Break, and I'm off to prepare for the week!

Comments

Cave-Woman said…
Your cabinets are beautiful.

I just redecorated my place, too. Lots of work, but worth it in the end.

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question