Skip to main content
As the Science Goddess said preliminary WASL scores were released to schools yesterday. So far, the only quasi-official news I've heard outside of my own school, is this paltry excuse for news reporting in the Seattle Times.

The scores are up. This was predicted long ago... students now have to pass this test to graduate. Of course, they will try harder. The question lingering for the past 12 months (possibly even last 3 years) was will they really? If so, by how much? To say that our scores rose lacks the depth of what was really announced over the intercom just before the final bell. To say that they rose so much, we're not even celebrating due to shock is more like it. We keep looking around asking if there was some kind of recalibration? A misscoring pproblem? Were there that many students who hadn't taken the test seriously before? In the midst of the apathy, are these students geniuses in bud? Should my classes be even harder? Will next year's students be able to meet these numbers? Can they even go any higher?

Individual scores are supposed to be released next week, but the pressure may have them out earlier. I just hope that pressure doesn't become a scoring debacle.

FYI - we're still looking for an AP math teacher. If you're interested in teaching in a school apparently filled with geniuses wearing "Idaho, not udaho" t-shirts, drop me a line.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question