Skip to main content

Summertime and the livin' is easy

For most of the school year, I look forward to summer and all the reading delights that are in store for me. I keep a running list of what I want to read and have even been known spend an entire day inside a book store reading books I'm too cheap to buy. Luckily, my local area has an incredible library system that allows me to obtain almost any book my heart desires for free!

Currently, I'm in the process of reading:

A Prayer for Owen Meany - for AP, a lot of my students choose it for their summer reading
Reading Lolita in Tehran - this may be a little to complex for summer reading
The Half Brother - it was on someone's best list... but I know nothing about it
Alexander Hamilton - it's supposed to be good
The Awakening - for AP
The Devil In White City - some AP teachers put this on their summer reading lists
1776 - always the history buff
Five People You Meet in Heaven - this also appeared on some summer reading lists. It seems too short...
Living and Teaching the Writers' Workshop - Something I still haven't been able to do!
Writing Reminders - by Jim Burke, my hero.

So far, I've read:
The Indwelling: The Beast Takes Posession
China Girl: One Man's Adoption Story
Carl and Karin Larsson: Creators of Swedish Style
Crash Course - I skimed through it, lots of graphs and very business like and about a 12 books on gardening and landscaping. Not bad for 5 days of summer break.

I also saw Garfield 2 with my young cousin. Do not go to this movie unless you are accompanied by someone under the age of 11. You bemoan the waste of money otherwise.

I've also heard bad things about The Break-Up. Nacho Libre, the stupidest idea for a movie I've seen since Cable Guy is leading the current box office standings. This does not bode well for the summer movie extravaganza. However, I do now realize why it's so hard to teach students elements of literature and get them to read a book. They have no experience with plot. What do all of the above movies have in common? Very little plot. It seems like they're all written either by 5th graders (with a lot of "and then..." or "next") or people sitting around at Joe's on $1 pitcher nite. Ideas with no follow through. After a solid diet of The Fast and the Furious, who could inspire a student to wade through Moby Dick? The whale doesn't do anything for several hundred pages.

Tomorrow I'm off to take a course in podcasting and then the AP institute in Bellevue. If I can swing, maybe I'll do a podcast from the institute.

Comments

Nacho Lover said…
hurrah for easy summertime reading! and libraries!

owen meany is one of the most incredibly moving books i've ever read. i'm so glad that your students have chosen it and now so have you!

my summer reading is going to be much lighter: chick lit and fun mysteries with some quality YA stuff too.
Lady Strathconn said…
Own, but haven't read Owen Meany, maybe I will try it this summer.

Reading Lolita is currently on my nightstand, I have been working on it.

The Awakening was one of the only books I read all the way through in my college English classes.

Five People is pretty good, although not really "life changing".

Have you read The Life of Pi? I really liked it.
Mr. McNamar said…
I'll echo "jules the crazy," Owen Meany is one of the true modern greats--humorous, moving, human.

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question