Skip to main content

Looking for birds to chase...

Looking for birds to chase
Looking for birds to chase,
originally uploaded by Hedgetoad.
Yesterday was Keavy's first experience at the beach. Prior to training school, all attempts had to be abandoned due to excessive "loosing my shit" behavior. The sheer number of birds available to be chased down drove Keavy into freenzy and I was terrified that either I would loose her or that she would unknowingly plunge into the surf and be sucked out to sea in the horrendous rip tides that make up the WA coast.

But, as I said, she did really well. We went to Pacific Beach, which is much less crowded, so there were fewer distractions.

She did pick up some seaweed (probably thinking it was some sort of toy), but she rapidly learned that this was not a good idea. Plus the water was a tad too salty for her liking - unlike small children, Keavy realized this after only one taste. She also showed no interest in the dead crabs. Maybe this fall we can head back sans leash...

I survived my AP training. It did get better as the week went on, but I know I'm going to be scrounging for some sort of syllabus for the rest of the summer. The one thing that we never got a clear answer on was how to sequence - which should come first? Close reading skills or writing skills? Especially for students who have basically never done this before and a teacher who's never really taught it before. I will say that teaching writing for this class will be a lot easier than doing WASL writing - at least AP writing is something I recognize from own writing experiences.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question