Skip to main content

One Week Left

Next week will be the final week of summer school... I thought I was looking more forward to it than I did I the end of the school year, but then I looked at my class lists for the upcoming year. I'm afraid... really, really afraid. Where is my optimism? Where is my excitement?

It fled at the sight of one class list. Does this mean I'm heading for a burn out? What does the third year bring? Besides stress, I mean. Help calm my fears...

FWIW - still loving the writing module; still bored with the reading module. I think forcing students to do the reading module day after day borders on cruel and unusual punishment.

Question - If your parents pay for you to go to summer school, at a price that is not "pin-money" in this local economy... and you choose not to complete assignments, not listen to instructions and act like a big idiot, why is it my fault you're grounded?

Comments

Lady Strathconn said…
I believe that goes hand in hand with something I read at Edwonks yesterday:

Accountability-based learning: &-"kaun-t&-'bi-l&-tE 'bAsd 'l&rni[ng] [n] when teachers are blamed for poor student performance, but involved parents are lauded for outstanding student performance.
Third year? That's when you know enough to be wary of class lists. :)

I would hope that even if there are kids on those lists who make you want to run away, that perhaps the new class configurations (and an additional year of whatever resembles maturity) might help change the dynamics. If not, then ride 'em hard the first couple of weeks so that they're begging for schedule changes.

Congrats on getting to the end of summer school. I am also very happy to see this week arrive!
Euclid said…
I was working in a small school teaching courses where I had kids multiple years in a row. There was one boy that I used to have nightmares before the start of school. They were always about having him acting out in class and having to deal with it. I think he was in four different courses in the same number of years. Now he is about 30. Last I heard he was in prison.

I think it wasn't until year 5 or 6 that the "before school dread" stopped.

Look at this coming year as a chance to learn as much about teaching as you learned your first year. That was the case during my third year.

BTW: At my current school, we don't get our class lists until the day before the students begin. Supposedly that way they'll be more accurate. Not much time for agonizing that way:-)
Mr. McNamar said…
Class list? Already? I am very jealous. We haven't even had our students complete registration yet--only enough to let us know what classes we'll be teaching.

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question