Skip to main content

The end of the year

This weekend I attended a couple of foster parenting classes. In one class, the presenter mentioned "the kids we're glad to see go" and it made me think about the students I'm glad to see go.

It's not the PC thing to admit that there are students you're happy to see go. It means you didn't reach them, you might have left them behind and you're just a bad teacher. However, I think that eventually every teacher has to get to the point where you realize that you can't reach every student. Sure, you can try... but you can't get to every single one.

By the time a student gets to high school, they can self-select out of that situation. I know there are a few students who beg to get out of my class every semester. "It's too hard" or "She's a bitch" or whatever excuse they give... they move themselves. For whatever reason, there are always those who don't. Some of them actually enjoy my class. All of their friends are in the class, occassionally they do "fun stuff" and constant prodding to learn is something they've dealt with for years. Others are just too lazy. Seriously, too lazy to go to counselor to ask to be moved... too lazy to do more than the absolute minimum... too lazy to do anything but sit. The worst are the ones that enjoy the conflict. They enjoy arguing about assignments, where to sit, when to talk, when to sleep, how to cheat, when to use the cell phone. I sometimes wonder what their homelife is like, and if it's full of conflict as well. Do they believe it's the only way to be?

In the last week of school, I'm too exhuasted to think about it. I'm just glad they'll be hitting the door for the last time in 3 days.

No news about my AP syllabus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question