Skip to main content

Test Scores

AP scores are out - so far, I've only heard from two students... they did pretty well and I'm fairly happy. For those who didn't call/email me, I'm going to have to wait until this fall when the mail is finally opened by the counselors. I'm hoping that there will be some detailed information so I can see what was missed or didn't work and what did.

WASL scores are probably in that pile too, not that it will do any good. The only report that teachers get are the generalized "85% passed." Completely worthless. Worthless, because there is no additional information describing how or why they passed and how or why others did not. Did they barely pass? Pass with high scores? Got a great score on expository writing, but not so much with the persuasion? Are there any trends at all? How did they get from 55% passing in 7th grade to 85% in 10th? Suddenly started caring? Fantastic remedial programs? Who knows? I can tell you it's not the teachers!

This, of course, leads to my next question. If the WASL is supposed to tell everyone how the schools are doing in this whole education process, why isn't there any information that would actually help to improve that process? Does anyone get the information? I know it exists somewhere... I used to get reports when working in another school district. Even the reports given to students are so dumbed down that they're pretty worthless too. ("very good on mathematical calcuations, but not very good at spacial abilities"; as if parents and students even know what the heck that is talking about!)

Does anyone else still get actal statistical information? Or is just us?

Comments

We have a district "data queen" who provides us with whatever statistical analysis we want. It really is helpful.

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question