Skip to main content

A Good Read

A new book has been making the rounds of the high school and I know it's making the rounds in others. A friend who teaches in another city told me that she read the entire series in a weekend! Ok, so they're not real deep or complex, but highly adictive to teen-age girls.

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. It's actually the first book in a series of three (and continuing), so once the reader is hooked, there's even more to keep them reading. It's got vampires, romance and high school.. what could be better? Oh yeah. It's set on the Olympic Pennisula, so the kids get a little thrill every time they read the name of a town they've heard of or been to. In fact, it is set in Forks, WA. Why Forks? Because as the rainiest town in the US, it's a perfect place for a vampire who doesn't want to be in the sun. Heh. Personally, I didn't find Forks all that much rainier than anywhere else on the pennisula, but the kids told me that the author never actually visited the area until after the book was published - to check to see if she was right - so the decision was made entirely based upon statistics.

FWIW, a couple of males have read the book and liked it, but I'm thinking I really wouldn't recommend it to students who would gravitate towards books about war, graphic death, blood, hunting, fishing and sports stories that aren't meant to be touching. Just sayin'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question