Skip to main content

Navigation 101 and Student Responsibility

This week we started the Navigation 101 program. Sadly, I think, we didn't get a lot of lead up to this - mostly the lead up consisted of "go look at the website." The first class was on Thursday. We didn't get the first lesson plan until Wed. (we aren't going by the website schedule) and it was pretty skimpy. We were start off with an ice breaker, and then move into checking transcripts. Except that I'm really bad at ice breakers and I don't know how the occupational/arts classes break down. Yeah. I told several kids to talk to their counselor the next day. Then the students asked what all the other things on their checklists were and I had to say "we'll get to them another day" because I don't really know what they are really about - I mean, I guess the portfolio shows work the student has done, but what kind and what is going to happen to it, I don't know. It's not that I think the program is a waste of time or not helpful for students - I'd just more than a day to prepare. Like a week or two.

Meanwhile, I was listening to All Things Considered. They started a new series about enducation and the changes therein. The first story was about the Minnesota New Country School. This school is what I'm sure some would call odd. There are no walls, no teachers - only "advisors", no classrooms, etc. Students spend a signifcant amount of time on the computer working on projects. The projects are vetted with an advisor before the student begins and they negotiate how much credit would be earned for each project. It's up to the student to complete it. While listening, I thought would student X succeed in this environment? Would student X actually do work? or would he/she do the same thing he/she has been doing since 4th grade (nothing)? It also made me think of the number of students who left my classes this week in favor of the alternative program... it's a similar program, but doesn't have the greatest rate of success. FWIW the Minnesota New Country School has an issue with seniors leaving in favor of the regular high school because the senior project is onerous.

How does a public education program, one that is tasked with teaching all students, whether they want it or not, supposed to design a program for all students? Are individualized computer programs the answer? Because two years ago, the answer was cooperative learning... and it's hard to combine those ideas. Some days I look at my students and wonder how I'm supposed to reach all of them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question