Skip to main content

Summer school and the living is easy

To be honest, summer school is somewhat boring. All of the lessons are pretty much scripted ("week 2, day 4") and most of the work is on demand so there is quite a bit of my wandering around while the students are working. On the plus side, I don't have to grade anything. I look at it and if it's what I asked for, the student moves on. If not, we chat about it and student has to re-do it.

Of course, I have one student who pretty much refuses to re-do anything. I've talked til I'm blue in the face. I've explained. I've given strategies. I've warned that this quality of work will not receive a passing grade. So far the student has remained firming in the camp of "I wrote something and put my name on it, therefore I pass". S/He even had the gall to tell me that writing a 5 sentence essay (vs. 5 paragraph) received an 'A' in the regular school year. It was really hard not to point out (again) that if S/He had nothing to learn or skills to improve, s/he wouldn't be attending summer school. I also had to point out that actually, all sophomores have to pass the reading/writing WASL to graduate.

Apparently, we still have students coming out of the middle school (where there are no reparcussions for failing all courses) who believe that they will graduate in 4 years because they attended were enrolled for 4 years. I fully understand that nothing is gained by holding students back in middle school, but seriously, there has to be some way to convince them that sitting on their ass for the rest of their lives isn't going to get them anywhere. Also, it might help if the town wasn't full of fools who sit on their asses all the time and don't care that they live in like something out of Deliverance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question