Skip to main content

Part-Time Indian

One of things I'm always on the look out for is a somewhat short, attention grabbing book for the "non reading boys" in my classes. They hate everything. They know they have to read, but if given any choice on books will attempt to choose something from Dr. Seuss. You know these boys. And, if you're like me, you are always looking for the holy grail of reading - the book they will LOVE to read. Like the true holy grail, no one knows if it actually exists or what form it really is. It might be a graphic novel or a website that releases a story in serial form. But the quest continues.

I believe it was the May issue of some teen Weekly Reader. Someone mailed me a sample copy, but I didn't really pay attention to it. I did skim it. Inside was an excerpt from The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. I had read the book over winter break and thought it was good, but reading the excerpt, I realized that this was my shot to get the students interested. I read it out loud - it was a description of cross-cultural fight scene. Or rather, how one culture views fighting juxdaposed with the predominant cultures views. It's hilarious too. The book is mildly biographic. It describes a native kid who decided to transfer from the reservations school to a totally white school because he wants a better academic opportunity. There is adversity, (I've driven on the long road he has to walk home. I felt more comfortable driving down the Henry Hudwith the driver next to me reading a book at 90 miles an hour. Scary and desolate do not quite do it justice.), cultural confusion and a real look at what it means when people say you've "turned white". It talks about serious issues, but in a really humorous way. That is Alexie's trademark - describing things that aren't talked about and making you laugh. Plus there are cartoons.

I read the excerpt out loud to my classes. Immediately, three boys asked to go to the library to check it out. After eight months of listening to them talk about the crappiest sports series ever written (think Goosebumps, but more mind-numbing), I was happy to let them go. They LOVED the book. They actually read outside of class! When they didn't have to! They found it funny, interesting and even asked questions about some things they didn't quite understand. They wanted to discuss the book, the characters action and how to fit it in their own experience schemata. I was shocked. True, they looked at it from an entertainment viewpoint rather than cultural, but the information is buried in their brains somewhere and maybe it will resurface some time. When they finally leave the small town life they've always known and realize there is a world out there... maybe. Most importantly, they did realize that there may be something else in the library they can read than just Chip Hilton.

Another one to add to the classroom library.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question