Skip to main content

Economy and Budgets

This morning I saw an tv advertisement for KFC - it claims that buying a KFC family dinner at $9.99 is cheaper than buying the ingredients from the grocery store. It goes on to show kids and mom running around the store exclaiming shock at the prices and searching for the "secret herbs and spices." I gonna be honest... I have a real problem with the commercial. We're in an economic recession and these people are trying to convince viewers that it's cheaper to buy ready made, than purchasing the ingredients to make it yourself... or as the commercial shows buy it ready made at the grocery store.

Most of the items needed for such a meal can't be bought in single meal servings - yes, if you had to go and buy a bag of potatoes, a 5lb. bag of flour, a pound of butter and all the spices, plus paid full price for the expensive-free-range-chicken, then yes, it's more than $10. But who I ask, buys a 5lb bag of flour just to make biscuits? Or spices for one chicken?

This is one of things that angers me about how kids are taught about money, how to spend it and how to save it. At best it's penny-wise, pound-foolish. Our previous cooking teacher actually told our administration that it was a waste to teach students how to sew, when they could easily buy a t-shirt at WalMart for $5. Obviously, he missed the point completely. Student practice making casual shirts at first because they're easier - the more difficult stuff that is more cost effective to make on your own comes later. Of course, the fact that he couldn't sew probably played into his suggestions as well.

He also used to have students do a monthly budget and rent an apartment and furnish it. Sounds like a good project, right? Except he also let them choose their own jobs... I would look over the student plans and wonder what I was doing wrong, since I've never been able to afford a bedroom set, but all my students could buy one, plus a living set and dining set. Guess which job they choose? I can tell you, it's not the one they'll be getting right out of high school.

Is it any wonder so many people are facing a financial crisis?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question