Skip to main content

Ye Olde Yearbook

The other day, someone tried to "friend" me on Facebook. Apparently, we graduated from high school together... but I had no idea who it was. I mean, the name was posted on the profile, but I didn't recognize it at all. I had to dig out my old yearbook - the one I keep telling my students I've lost - to look this person up. Didn't work. The first name was really common in that era and the picture wasn't any help either. I finally just clicked "accept", because who wants to get a reputation of being a Facebook denier (is that a word) back in my hometown?

The reason I tell my students I lost it? They're utterly fascinated with seeing it. They want to see my hideous photos and laugh at everyones hair styles. Hey, I laugh too! But really, do I want them to see cute boys labeled? Or the copious drug and alcohol references? Sure it was all talk, but that's just not something I want to share. I'm just glad I don't teach in my hometown. They display all senior photos in the class for every year along the hallways. I went to school looking at my stepmom's 1970s flip and her father's 1940s ducktail posted above lockers and doorways. For some reason, the school where I teach doesn't do that for any class. I think the staff may just be protecting their reputations - over half are local graduates.

Would you share your senior yearbook with your students?

Comments

Twigs said…
Nope...too many references to sex and drugs in my yearbook! The mid 70's was a riotous time!

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question