Skip to main content

Banning the Book

A couple of days ago, a school district in Oregon banned the book The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indianby Sherman Alexie. A parent objected to a reference to masturbation, which he felt was not appropriate for young teens. Which has to make you laugh out loud at the irony of that statement... or seriously wonder if the parent is suffering from some delusional mental state. Also, apprently a school board member felt that it wasn't appropriate because there are cartoon drawings that were "inappropriate". Sadly, the article didn't mention which ones because I wanted to check it out. Anyways, I think the book is great and all the students who've read it (mostly teen age boys) loved it too. If you live in a conservative area, it may be an issue if you recommend this book to your students.

In the meantime, Sherman Alexie should also send a large "thank you" basket to the Crook County school board for banning his book. I know I'd be running to get a copy if I didn't already have one. Several dog-eared copies are probably be passed from student to student as you read this. Nothing makes a book more popular than the rumor of something illicit in it. Remember the book Forever. . .? We used to ask in whispers about reading it, and no one would come out and say what exactly was so illicit about it. We had to read it under the blankets with a flashlight.

Not being one to cast stones, I think a book is about to banned in our district. Sadly, our high school library does not have a copy of the book, but the middle school does. It may be removed in the next week, our librarian having assured people who care that it isn't found in the high school library. ttfnis not highly recommended by parents on the Amazon comments, although many of it's target age group seems to disagree. Written in text-speak, it talks a lot about sex and drugs. Two topics I never hear about on a daily basis... Hopefully, this break I can find the time to sit in the bookstore and read it. I'd buy it, but since I wouldn't be able to pass it on to students, what is the point?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question