Skip to main content

Soulja Girl

I forgot whether or not I told our school secretary that I was attending the OSPI conference next week. And she's the only one who gets the subs for the school. And most are probably already taken, so I may end up with Soulja Girl as the sub for my class... for three days. It's impossible to describe the amount of stress this has caused me since I realized that I may not have requested a sub or the nightmares I've had about the state of our school building.

Soulja Girl is our bottom of the list sub. The absolute bottom, can't even scrape enough teachers together to cover the classes sub. My first year, she was my sub for one day. During that day she probably read over 200 pages of the latest bodice-ripper. The students violated my stuffed cougar, did not work, ran about the building screaming and lit books on fire. She didn't notice. The vice-principal also stood on the doorway for over 20 minutes and she NEVER even looked up. You think she would have noticed the sudden silence... but apparently not.

After that she had a long chat about her remaining a sub... which leads us to the title Soulja Girl. Earlier this year she subbed and instead of doing class work (or God forbid, teach), the students taught her how to do the Soulja Boy dance. They filmed it with their phones. I'm really surprised it's not on YouTube - I was shown it at least four times. Good times. At least nothing was set on fire. If she is my sub, I'm wondering what will happen with my students? Another dance? Roasting marshmallows?

Even more scary? She's the only "fully-qualified" sub we have.

Comments

Not to worry---with all the state budget cuts looming, there will likely be thousands of teachers added to the sub pool for next year. Argh.

See you in Seattle! I'll be in 620 most of Wednesday/Thursday.
J said…
Thank you so much for following my daughter's blog and mine. I wish everyone could see her face every time a "sticker" pops up. She is working so hard to overcome being RAD and I am so proud of her!

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question