Skip to main content

How To Get Your Students To Really Listen

The box was finally mailed off to the National Boards grading conglomerate (or is it conspiracy?). Life can begin again...

Plus it's spring and we all know what that means! Yes! Shakespeare! Willie the Shake! Woot!

Seriously, it's my favorite time of the year because this is when my students listen with rapt attention to almost every word I say. Especially if it's Romeo and Juliet. Can't get your students to pay attention to Shakespeare? Well, you are not focusing on the right spin. Bathroom habits, boys kissing boys and lots of dirty jokes. (once we had a grant to take students to SEE a professional show of Romeo and Juliet... the ones who didn't take my class were stunned at all the dirty jokes. My students giggled like 5 year olds.) If they're not listening, they may be insulted in words they don't understand or miss out on a joke.

Yesterday, I started with my usual, "this is the globe theater. It has a floor and three tiers of seats. Unlike today, seats in the nosebleeds cost more... why do you think that might be?" And then I launch into an explaination of how stinky everyone was. The students (even non-habitual bathers) are stunned to learn that Elizabethans did not bath regularly, if ever. Or that they had no real toilet paper. Or underwear for that matter. Shocking, I tell you, shocking!

Whilst describing the process of using/emptying a chamber pot, one student literally freaked out at the disgustingness of it. Apparently, he/she is NOT a camper. Freaking out as in yelling "that's just wrong! doesn't anyone else think that that is just wrong?!?!" The other students laughed uncontrolably. They were so interested and asking so many questions, I didn't even get why everyone is wearing those clothes and what is the sexiest part of the body. That really kills them.

Then I make them all practice a proper curtsy and bow. It's hysterical.

Sometimes I really wish I taught history. Not in this current economic climate... but lord-luv-a-duck it sure would be fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question