Skip to main content

Student Reading

A couple of weeks ago, I finished reading Readicide by Kelly Gallagher. There is a huge discussion about the book on the English Companion Ning - I highly recommend reading through it. There are so many great idea and points to ponder throughout.

At the end of the book is a huge list of books that are of high interest to students who aren't that motivated to read. As mentioned last week, I hit the used bookstore to find as many as I could for the upcoming year. I now has enough books to last me for the rest of the summer if I don't finish painting the living room. Or anything else. On the other hand, they are pretty easy to get into, which is the point, I suppose.

The first one I dove into was How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff. The description promised an end of the world theme (which is my favorite), and given our days of sunshine lately I thought it a good start. There's nothing worse that reading a depressing book while it's raining and let's face it, teens do seem to enjoy a good depressing story. Anyhow, although there is war and deprivation, the events are not apocalyptic. There is romance, sort of... although it's somewhat scandalous. However, a former student told me "boy, that seems to happen in a lot of books these days", so maybe it's not? Are cousins who date still considered incestuous?

I can say that it was suprisingly not that depressing, given the whole war, separation and death action going on, nor was there any foul language, weird slang (even though it's set in England) and the sex was pretty much glossed over - if there was any. It was really glossed over. That is also why I have to say "romance... sort of." The main character is female, but she is neither simpering or grandly heroic, which seems to make her all the more realistic.

I probably will be recommending it to students.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi,
I've few education websites and blogs. I'm very much interested sharing my website information with your website. If you wish then please get back to me so that we can discuss further. Waiting your reply. Wishing you a nice day.
Cheers,
Christine.
christine09.smith@gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question