Skip to main content

Ignoring the Bad News

For the past two months, I’ve been trying to avoid the news, blogs, and articles about the state of education in America. If you listen long enough, there’s really no place to go but depressed. In the search for yet another scapegoat, teachers are getting hammered. The only solution everyone (but teachers) seems to have come up with is the teacher/Mother Teresa. In order for our children to get a quality education, all teachers must work 12+ hours per day (to make up for that long summer vacation), spend all weekends and vacations planning, collaborating with co-workers and tutoring students, leaving a few hours on Sunday for family and friends.

Then, of course, there is all of the end of the year stress. Testing, testing, test. State tests, AP tests and year end monitoring tests. Then I get to collect and analyze all the data, deciding the elective fate of approximately 300 students. Oh the power! The power to refrain from stabbing myself in the eye.

And… toss in a bit of planning for next year. Our department decided to divy up the course sections ourselves in hopes of avoiding overcrowding in our classes. We presented a proposal to drop the number of 9th graders to 25 per sections and raising seniors/juniors to 30; explaining that if the freshmen aren’t passing 9th grade english, it’s unlikely they will make it to junior/senior english. These numbers are arbitrary really; so classes will have 30+ and others will be 16 due to pressures elsewhere. Our hope is that if we have enough sections for 9th graders to get to 25/class, at least there is less of a chance of 35+ in a class. I’m just hoping that we didn’t shoot ourselves in the foot by agreeing to 30+ for seniors/juniors and getting 30+ across the board. Our proposal had 2 more sections than the administration really wanted.

These are things that I can not control, so I’m practicing active ignoring everything outside of my control.

Comments

Jill said…
Our district is going through a decline in enrollment, and we cut a team-worth of teachers (five positions) total last wee in our building. They "promise" that the numbers will be kept low, but that just means that in the on-level classes, the numbers will be huge. There are no easy answers . . . but we'll make it work as always.

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question