Skip to main content

Kickin' butt and taking names

The month of April flew by... well, sloshed by quickly. I'd love have some exciting tales to tell, but mostly I avoided reading/thinking about education outside of my classroom. Really, it's just depressing. The constant barrage of so called "experts" railing against teachers, their benefits, summer's off, not teaching, not wanting to improve... etc.

To those who are now railing against the so-called "cadillac" benefits teachers recieve, I can only say... get your own union. YOU didn't want to pay the dues, YOU said you could do it yourself. YOU didn't. Don't come crying to me. Pay $100/mo in dues and maybe you too will start to see some benefits. Otherwise, bite me.

While I was off galavanting in my own little world... I applied for a technology grant. Didn't get it. Applied for the AP Fellows grant, go it! Finally, I will be attending a training session that is devoted to what I need. The first year I taught AP, my summer institute session was thrown together at the last minute, made up those whose slacker administration had neglected to register them (or at least MY slacker administration did) and was filled with brand new teachers and those who had been teaching the class for sometime. It was 2007.... AP Language teachers out there... can you see where I'm headed? Yah, totally dominated by "synthesis question" introduction. FYI, the synthesis question is almost exactly like a DBQ... which they didn't really want to hear. They wanted the magic answer that would guaranantee a passing score for all their students. I got a bunch of unorganizaed hand-outs (the instructor wasn't told of the hastily changed content until arrival to the institute site) and a serious case of confusion. I'm still trying to figure out how half of the class passed.

For the last month of school, I'm now trying to figure out something for the classes to do that doesn't really require me to be present. Next week I have jury duty... which may or may not last. RTI meetings and evaluations and ORF'ing to do, plus Honor Society Induction (which may just be pushed back to next fall, since every date I choose becomes not available as soon as I  mention it). Suggestions?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question