Skip to main content

New Administration

Yesterday our Principal resigned. We all knew this was coming, but change is never easy. And with an adversarial relationship between teachers who think about students as kids and administrators who view students as dollars and data, who knows what will happen. Then there is old caveat of hiring principals during the summer... that only the bad ones are left. Not exactly inspiring confidence, but hope springs eternal. 

Meanwhile, back on the farm, I'm going through all my files and weeding. Last year I hastily toss files into boxes and promptly forgot about them. I didn't even open two of them. That usually means they are candidates for the trash bin. But, lucky me! I'll be teaching English 11 next year and hopefully something in those boxes will be helpful. The first thing I found was a early fall semester assignment used in my AP class. I was very upset last September when I couldn't find it and had to do a g*ogl* search to find another copy of the text. And that is why organization is important. This year, I'm turning over a new leaf in June.

Next week I'll be collating data for our RtI students. Our passing rate this year was significantly higher than last year in reading and writing. Although I'm not really attributing that to our fantastic interventions, it would be good to have something in graphical form that shows we're achieving something. And if you're wondering what RtI is all about... it's all about the graphs baby. Billions of dollars for pretty pictures. Or what would be pretty pictures if we could afford a color printer.

Comments

Mr. McNamar said…
We just hired a new principal after an interesting search. Two of the candidates were in-house, the other from out of state. The whole process generated a great deal of discussion and lunch time gossip.
For your sake, I hope there are some good ones left.
Jenna said…
Since school is out, there won't be any lunch time gossip.

I do wonder if there will be an open house presentation from the candidates? We haven't had any recently, but then again, no one has been up for a secondary administration position. I guess time will tell.

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question