Skip to main content

Summer, What Summer?

The weather has not been inspiring any dreams of sitting poolside, at least not without a sweatshirt. Could it be another summer without sun?

School has been out for nearly a week and my room still looks like a bomb went off inside. On the last day of school I realized that I just wasn’t going to be able to shove everything in the closet and head out at the end of the day. Instead I tracked down a custodian and asked when I really had to be “out” of the room.  “August.”

Suddenly the month of June was my oyster. I’m going through the file cabinets and weeding out all the 9th/10th grade crap, duplicates and just plain crap, while organizing it all into some organizational pattern. All those folders full of something mixed together – unmixed and filed correctly. And I finally expanded the drawers for AP into three! I can actually pull stuff without risking a nasty paper cut. I have many, many graphic organizers (not including the dusty binders sitting in the bottom of my closet) and a lot of poetry.

I was also able to put the final touches on the reading intervention data. Of our students placed in reading interventions over the last two years, more than half passed the HSPE. In order to be placed into an intervention, one of the criteria is not passing previously. This number is tempered by the significant number of students who did not even take the HSPE because they were too credit deficient. Would those students have passed anyway? We’ll never know and it’s not like anyone wants to volunteer to be in a control group, but they had never passed before.

Interestingly, our screener data was all over the place with these students. Obviously they all started out low (another criteria for class placement), but HSPE passing rate did not really correlate with the screener at grade level scores. Why? is a good question. But do I really want to tackling it over the summer?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question