Skip to main content

In the Beginning

I started planning out the coming school year – as soon as I saw the Staples back to school flier, I knew it was time.

After spending an hour on the English Companion Ning, I found a pretty good technology skill survey to hand out to my classes. Juniors and Seniors produce fairly large research papers, so getting a jump on their technology skills will be helpful. Most of the survey was pretty basic, but it’s surprising how many of my students still do not know how to save a document as an appropriate file type, imbed graphics or tell the difference between G*00*gle and a content website. If I had a nickel for every student who told me that they found the photo on  g*00gle, I’d be planning a round-the-world cruise.

Every year on the first day, I do a “info. bingo” activity. I’ve done it for the past six years and it’s become quite popular amongst other teachers. A lot of my students will be returners from the 09-10 year, so I need a new idea. Something fun, but informational. There is a thread about this on the Ning as well. So far the ideas which appealed to me are:

  • 3 true/3 false introduction poem
  • introduction/year preview slide show (need good music for this!)
  • Intro. letter to me/use mine to them as a model
  • Use “where I’m from” poem and create some sort of activity

Next week is the AP conference!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question