Skip to main content

And It Begins

Tomorrow is our first mandatory day back. Starting at 7am for breakfast – I’m sure it will be refrigerator bagels and Folgers coffee. Sadly, even if there were someone in the region who knew how to make an actual bagel, it would be rejected in favor of those lounging in a plastic bag on a grocery shelf with a sell-by date. Despite the cornucopia of fresh foods available, this area is where foodies go to loose a few pounds. But I digress.

I somehow found myself volunteering to help present information about RTI to the district. I’m sure my thinking was something along the lines of… I won’t have to listen to endless presentations about things I already know about. Now, however, I’m thinking, Crap! I’ve given up hours of planning and prep I could be doing while pretending to pay attention.

Why do these welcome back days have to be so boring? Besides the obvious fact that while teachers are continually lambasted for lecturing to students for more than 15 minutes, teachers will be lectured TO for hours on end. I’m hoping that our presentation won’t be as boring, but it is mostly lecture. We have 40 minutes to get out the basics of RTI to the staff members so at least it will go quick. Of course, now I’m wishing we could have found some funny cartoons to toss in… I hope my presentation partner was able to find the SNL skit on a site we could access through our draconian net filter. Some humor is desperately needed.

Meanwhile the usual contract negotiations flounder along. We had a meeting today and will be having another one within a few days. Is it good? Is it bad? Honestly, who the heck knows? Everyone gets all excited and then all of sudden it’s over and never discussed again. I’m hoping it will go that way again.

Comments

Lorie said…
I hope you had a good first day back. We have been back for just over a week and I am still not used to the routine! I am hoping it kicks in soon!

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question