Skip to main content

Counting Coup

I started reading Counting Coup during my reading class – good example and all that good stuff. It was one of the books suggested during my college days to help give us a multi-cultural background. While I’m wasn’t so sure about the assignment (in fact, I believe it was changed after I graduated), the book always lingered in the back of my mind. This summer the title resurfaced in a discussion about Native American texts. While I’m not sure I would characterize the book as a “Native American text”, it was a pretty good read.

Basically, the story follows a high school basketball team in a small town in Montana. Although the high school is not on a Reservation, it is located near enough that nearly half of the population is Native American.  Initially, the narrator came to the town to follow a boys basketball team and discover why almost no Native Americans end up playing after their high school career has ended. After his first trip to the nearby reservations, however, he discovers a female player of seeming mythical ability. The story moves to focus not only on the local girls basketball team, but also on this player and the relationship dynamics that affect her playing and life.

I don’t think that there was anything new I learned about Native American culture, but if you’ve never experienced it (more than just the odd powwow), you might… then again, you may become hopelessly depressed. The narrator does not mince words when describing the effects of alcoholism, racism and paternalism rampant in the culture. And unlike Sherman Alexie, there is no attempt to make it humorous. Like much of life, there is not Lifetim*eMovie happy ending. There isn’t any sugar coating – if someone’s actions are racist, then they’re labeled as racist. If it’s unfair, then the narrator says it is and trying to find out why. The  narrator constantly asks himself the question as to whether his reaction to the seemingly bad choices made by the players, coaches and others are actually bad choices or if they are simply another way of living.

I think the best part of this book is that in examining the relationships between coaches, players, family and friends, is that the reader can plainly see that there is more affecting the success of the players than just teaching of basketball skills. Despite all the coaches can do, outside factors will affect the outcome of the games, the season and the future of the players.  Is accepting that idea wrong?

And the narrator also sees that in their school careers also… many of the teachers do what they can, but in end some times it’s just not enough. While they may accept outcomes that are likely, it does not mean that they are not sympathetic their students lives or that they do not want them to succeed. There is a conversation between a French teacher and the narrator wherein the French teacher is not pleased that the school board is pushing for the school to offer Crow language courses. When asked why French was the more important class, the teacher replies that French will help them in the business world. I know the book was written a decade ago, but the last time I think French was necessity for business was a while ago. Does the teacher truly believe this or is the she trying to protect something she loves or  is it a bias against the Native American language? Probably a mixture of all three. The narrator doesn’t go into the implications of this conversation for the students, but it something to think about when reading.

That is something that I need to remember for my students as well. I can “want” them to do well and graduate and go onto college, but if they make a different choice, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s “bad”. It doesn’t mean that I don’t continue to try to prepare them the best that I know how to, for the future, but it does mean that sometimes I have to trust that they might have a better view of their own picture than I do. Despite the obstacles the players face during their season, and for their futures, their lives go on. For the most part the book does end on a positive note. Some times it’s not what the reader expected, but that’s ok too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question