Skip to main content

Day 3

I finally got into my class lists. Surprisingly, given that I have the same number of sophomore classes as I did freshmen last year I don't have a lot of the same students. Although I've been nervous all summer about which returns I would have... I've been surprisingly calm about the whole thing now that I know.

I can now see the top of my desk, for the most part, and got most of the classroom decorations up. I still have one last poster, but I really need a ladder for that - plus, I'm think it might be too much. There's an intersting discussion going on Teachers.net regarding the issue of high school classrooms and decorations. Some say "go for it!" and other's say "no." For myself, I would probably shrivel up and die in a classroom with blank walls. I need a certain amount of external stimulation to keep focused. While this is not always true for my students, rest assure that 3 days after school starts, nary a one will remember what, if anything is on the walls. That's not to say that it isn't worthwhile to decorate, I just don't think it's as big of a distraction as many would believe it to be. Second, a decorated room indicates that it's a wanted space. It says, "I cared enough about this class to staple crap to wall. I actually want to be in this room with you." For a lot of students, that's more caring than they get at home. I also believe that choices I've made in what to decorate with says that this class is all about the readin' and writin', so even if they're spacing off, it's subconsciously getting through. It could happen.

Comments

Emma said…
I'm in the midst of decorating my high school classroom, too. Most of my 9th and 10th graders told me that a plain room is just too boring.
Keep up the good work!
Oh, and if you have time, check out my blog on teaching at http://lostmyfaculties.blogspot.com/

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway!

Free Stuff! What a great way to start a week! A little somthin’-somthin’ for my peeps. (does sound hokey? ‘cause it sounds totally smooth in my head). CSN.com is letting me hand out a little gift card to one lucky reader! And by little, I mean, a substantial amount. $50 smackers. 50 semoleons. 50 clams, baby. Which can buy you something very nice to make your January quite fun or your Valentine’s Day a little more romantic.  CSN is comprised of over 200 online stores, where you can find everything from Delsey luggage to Le Creuset cookware! How styling would I look with this set, while attending my first AP reading? This has a definite wow factor! Yes! I was asked… still waiting for my district to work out the details as it takes place while we are still in school. No one can make the decision at this point because, well… there is no more money anywhere. I’ll know for sure by next week. Enough of school politics! This will be one of those giveaways with fantastic odds! Unfortunat...

Summer Notes

Books to Read: New Kelly Gallagher   Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions  by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana  Notes for Art: Group Project for the First Day Expectations from group project exit question

Tag

I was tagged... Here are the instructions: 1) Go into your archives. 2) Find your 23rd post. 3) Find your 5th sentence (or closest to it). 4) Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules. 5) Tag five other people. Here it is... Since I was to be in a meeting all day, the district hired a substitute for my classes. And thus my aversion to having subs in my class was born. Or rather the unknown factor of them - the planner in me cringes at the thought of being off schedule. Of course, I could be flexible, but flexible is much harder.